Where history and community meet.
Our Ministry spans three centuries. We are the visible link to Norfolk’s colonial history, occupying the oldest and only remaining pre-Revolutionary War building in downtown Norfolk. Our churchyard is the original community burying ground with the graves of many of Norfolk’s early citizens. St. Paul’s is listed on the Virginia Landmarks Register and the National Register of Historic Places since 1971.
The clergy, vestry, and parishioners of the Borough Church/Saint Paul’s Church have made important contributions to the welfare of the Norfolk and regional communities and to the enrichment of the lives of their citizens. These contributions date from the earliest settlement of the Elizabeth River Parish in the 1630’s and continue to this day.
We would love to have you join us on Sundays.
Who We Are
A Norfolk landmark Since 1739.
Second Parish Church
The second Elizabeth River Parish church (a brick and wood building) was built on the southeast corner of our churchyard near the current intersection of St. Paul’s Boulevard and City Hall Avenue. It remained in use until approximately 1739 when the current building was completed.
Current Nave Constructed
The Borough Church, the third parish church of Elizabeth River Parish (now St. Paul’s), was completed. It was the only house of worship in Norfolk until 1773 (and similarly our burial ground was the only public cemetery in Norfolk until the 1820′s).
Becoming St. Paul's
In 1832, Rev. Henry W. Ducachet of Christ Church and his congregation took responsibility for the rehabilitation of the old church. After work is completed in 1833, Bishop Richard Channing Moore reconsecrated it under the name Saint Paul’s Episcopal.